VA Information

This area will have information from members about VA benefits, program updates, and things our members should know about their health benefits.

This information below is submitted by fellow unit members, their emails are listed if you have specific questions about the information provided.

 | Main Page VA Info Index |

Submitted by Bobbie Pediog
Last Commanding Officer of
the 68th AHC            

Introduction To The Veterans' Aid and Attendance Special Pension


Tax deduction is possible.

The Veterans' Administration offers a Special Pension with Aid and Attendance (A&A) benefit that is largely unknown.  This Special Pension (part of the VA Improved Pension program) allows for Veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in eating, bathing, dressing, undressing or taking care of the needs of nature to receive additional monetary benefits. 

It also includes individuals who are blind or a patient in a nursing home because of mental or physical incapacity.  Assisted care in an assisted living facility also qualifies. This most important benefit is overlooked by many families with Veterans or surviving spouses who need additional monies to help care for ailing parents or loved ones. 

This is a "pension benefit" and is not dependent upon service-related injuries for compensation.  Most Veterans who are in need of assistance qualify for this pension. 
Aid and Attendance can help pay for care in the home, nursing home or assisted living facility.  A Veteran is eligible for up to $1,519 per month, while a surviving spouse is eligible for up to $976 per month. 

A couple is eligible for up to $1,801 per month*.The Aid and Attendance Benefit is considered to be the third tier of a VA program called Improved Pension.  The other two tiers are Basic and Housebound.  Each tier has its own level of benefits and qualifications. 

While the objective of this site is to disseminate information about the Aid and Attendance Benefit, we urge you to read an important document prepared by the American Veterans Institute that clearly explains the Improved Pension program, its levels of benefits and the qualifications for each. 

If you or your loved one does not qualify for Aid and Attendance, you may want to check to see if you qualify for another level of the Pension.
**Click Here for the Improved Pension Beginner's Guide**Please browse this site using the menu on the left to learn more about the Aid & Attendance Special Pension, Eligibility Requirements, How to Apply, What to Expect and Resources to help you with this critical benefit. 
[**http://www.veterana Improved_ Pension.pdf**]

Also, please visit the Sponsor of this site who has made it possible to disseminate this information to veterans and their families.We highly recommend you visit the One Experience page of this site for critical information on this process.

The Aid and Attendance (A&A) Special Pension provides benefits for veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in eating, bathing, dressing and undressing or taking care of the needs of nature.  It also includes individuals who are blind or a patient in a nursing home because of mental or physical incapacity.  Assisted care in an assisting living facility also qualifies.

The A&A Pension can provide up to $1,519 per month to a veteran, $976 per month to a surviving spouse, or $1,801 per month to a couple*.Eligibility must be proven by filing the proper Veterans Application for Pension or Compensation.  This application will require a copy of DD-214 (see below for more information) or separation papers, Medical Evaluation from a physician, current medical issues, net worth limitations, and net income, along with out-of-pocket Medical Expenses.

A DD-214 is issued to military members upon separation from active service. DD-214s were issued to separated service members beginning in the 1950's. The term "DD-214" is often used generically to mean "separation papers" or "discharge papers", no matter what form number was used to document active duty military service.

If the VA has a copy of a DD-214, it is usually because the veteran attached a copy (or sometimes, the original) to his or her application for disability or education benefits. If you've lost your original DD-214 or a copy and you are receiving (or applied for in the past) disability or education benefits from the VA, they may have a copy (or the original, if you gave it to them) on file.

At the very least, if you are currently receiving benefits (or did in the past), they should be able to provide a Statement of Service, which can be used instead of a "DD-214".





Webmasters contact information:

David  Green





Home Top Tigers  | Mustangs | Unit Helicopters | In Memory | Unit Personnel | How to Contribute |

| Unit Reports | 391st Maint Det. | Top Tiger Tail | 282nd Signal Det. | 430th Medical Det. | Bien Hoa 
| Visitors Questions | Stories about the 68th  | Reunions | The Music | The Base | High Flight | Links |